Humvee driving in Baghdad

On the one hand, the copy with this video says that American soldiers have to drive like this to limit the risk of attack. Some in the comments say its arrogant, and it’s no wonder Iraqis hate Americans. Others says if the driver slows down, gunfire would start, and thats not safe for anyone. What do you think?

*update: Those who know have identified the city as Mosul, not Baghdad. I used the title it was posted under at YouTube.

In this case, I'd have to say that both hands have a point.

Tactically, it makes good sense to keep moving in territory that hasn't been secured.

Nationalistically, it makes sense to be angry at an occupying force, and further angered by members of that force driving through the streets of your capitol city, bumping cars off the road, and driving on the wrong side of the street.

It's amazing that Dubya and his cronies can still say things like "We've made great progress in Iraq."

Stupid, delusional or evil?

said Groundloop on January 27, 2007 12:10 PM.

I say we wouldn't have a problem with it if we weren't there.

Whether we should ever have been there in the first place is up for debate. But now, we're playing referee to a civil war. I would drive like a bat out of hell if somebody sent my ass over there, I can guarantee it.

said Joey B on January 27, 2007 1:02 PM.

Looks like Maryland.

said Ron on January 27, 2007 1:56 PM.

american thieves get out of our land

said no name on January 27, 2007 2:02 PM.

Hi
This video not from Baghdad
This film is from Mosul Atshana (Bab Shams)

said maslawy on January 27, 2007 2:11 PM.

Hi
This video not from Baghdad
This film is from Mosul Atshana (Bab Shams)

said Walid Dawlat on January 27, 2007 2:12 PM.

What the american think themselves

they will lose in iraq and we will c that

said 3bas on January 27, 2007 3:59 PM.

I hope this doesn't give Humvee drivers in America any ideas.

said Evil Richard on January 27, 2007 4:24 PM.

this is a prove to the american terrorism.
And those loseres will run awy from our IRAQ like rats.
I am asking who is the real terrorist?

said Kefah Al-Khafadji on January 27, 2007 4:49 PM.

i think this is STUPID...they're playing!
like..it's not enough to make another people pass for that suffering, they think that can make jokes from them..ridiculous!

said livia f. on January 27, 2007 9:02 PM.

In a conversation with various British Army people, they expressed their frustration that they were being ordered to obey speed limits whilst their was a high risk they'd be blown up by an IED. They tended to ignore the limits and risk the tickets!

said Rachel on January 27, 2007 10:22 PM.

HI
THIS DRIVER MUST BE DRANK

said SNOOPY on January 28, 2007 12:17 AM.

Look at him - picking his nose - not a f***ing care in the world. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

said logs on January 28, 2007 12:58 AM.

Where they called to get some where or were they just being typical 20 year olds with small dick complexes?

said THE WOLFE on January 28, 2007 2:52 AM.

As an Iraqi, I find this offensive, and yes I'm against American occupation, but I'm also against violence. It is ironic that the Iraqi security forces, militias, or even VIP personal guards do the same thing, in addition to shooting gunfire in the air or to the ground to terrorize people so they can secure the way for them. On the other hand, I understand how these soldiers feel when they're driving in an insecure area. One of the guys here talks about speed limits, well we don't have that; our streets are so messed up and there are no rules. And yes, this is not Baghdad, maybe it's Mousil.

said Baghdadi on January 28, 2007 12:45 PM.

said Baghdadi on January 28, 2007 12:57 PM.

this video toke in mosul not in baghdad im sure coz i know that place

said belal on January 29, 2007 5:49 AM.

As one of the guys who had to drive those humvees full of marines ... I can tell you that this is how you drive everywhere. You want to get from point a to point b as fast as you can - While its not all Iraqis, the ones that complain dont realize that your people are trying to blow us up ... and once you realize that is real, and see one, you'd drive like that too.

said Navy Corpsman on January 29, 2007 10:19 AM.

What a silly remarks from some who dig hell to find justifications for any misconduct by the terror army of US. Those cars are owned by people, people sitting in them are humans and have lives to care about.
There are weekly reports about Iraqis killed due to US crazy driving but still US soldiers are found innocents.
You occupy a country; kill as many people as you want then sit like idiots and find justifications for your terror!
What a crazy people you are!

said Nor on January 29, 2007 12:22 PM.

"What a crazy people you are!" <- Let me point a rocket launch at your face and see how crazy you go :)

said Eye Kay Tee on January 30, 2007 4:28 AM.

"What a crazy people you are!" <- Let me point a rocket launcher at your face and see how crazy you go :)

said Eye Kay Tee on January 30, 2007 4:28 AM.

well this kind of driving will get the hate from the othere side who ever it is but at the same time the othere drivers should notice the ideat are coming so they give way to them ,at the same time we didnt bring the vilonce to our selves its the accoupyning and some of the ideats leaders whom giving the ok to steel and do offenceve behavour to the inocent iraqis which they are also risking there lives as an civelians not an anamy by going out and they dont know if they will be blown up by car,side raod boombe so we should think of the othere side as well as our side ,and some of the solders there are eregant to the iraqis and i think they are ideats and know nothing in there life just being an ideat.

said f on January 30, 2007 1:20 PM.

Sorry, but the truth is that only fools INVADE another country & expect to be showered with roses. We need to GET OUT--& over 2/3rds of Americans agree. "We" (politicians) want to impose our Democracy on others--is it not more of a dictatorship that we have? Two more years of this insanity? I am sad & angry, but what can we really do if we haven't got the power, or money except demonstrate & get put in jail. & I frankly don't give a damn if this is going out into cyberspace. If I can't speak freely, what sort of life is that?

said dragon J. on January 31, 2007 11:35 PM.

This is America calls 'winning hearts and minds' and comes as no surprise. The driver was deliberately accelerating to ram people and did not resemble 'defensive driving' used by other armed forces in other countries. Its a pity the US army hasn't tried to learn how to behave from the UK forces, which barring a few rotten apples, have behnaved with dignity, mutual respect and humanity.

said nadia on February 3, 2007 10:37 AM.

Alas, nothing has been learned since Vietnam where I was as "visitor" during that war. This kind of behaviour is inevitable when driving throutgh places one is hated by too many.

said Simpson J on February 4, 2007 4:18 AM.

They just seem like arrogant pricks to me. Let's be honest, does it look as if by driving this way they could avoid being attacked? They're still slow enough to be an excelent target and are actually getting themselves in situations (like driving on the wrong side of the road) that slow them down and make them an even easier target.

said SK on February 4, 2007 2:10 PM.

i am sorry for soldiers of USA

said saeed on February 5, 2007 10:48 AM.

These guys are on a mission. Maybe they are trying to get to an injured unit. Who knows? When you have to get though youdo what ever it takes. Lives are at stake. This could happen in Los Angeles. Have we seen video of Fire Engines trying to get through traffic full of stupid peple driving?

said Don Bergthold on February 6, 2007 1:08 PM.

I drove humvees in various parts of Iraq. You have to drive like this. If you get stuck and stoped some idiot will try and take a pot shot at you. Then you shoot back then you are the bad guy. Iraqis now to clear the way, its posted everywhere, its on signs on the humvees, and peopple still wont move.... The rest of this list is a bunch of isiots becouse they have now idea wht it is really like. So easy to comment form your armchair watching CNN...

said 18B on February 7, 2007 3:30 PM.

I used to live in Middle East for a while due to
my father's work.(Jordan not in Bagdad although..)
As far as I remember Jordanian were very peaceful
and love to share their afternoon tea with neighers. They are just like people like us.
And people live there should have a right to live
like a human and be treated like a human.
Who is resposible for this chaos?

said Julia Kim on February 8, 2007 3:08 PM.

What kind of a question is that ? If I come to your house for 4 years, make a mess and you start running after me to kick me out then I should run around and kick everyone in the household and justify it as: "if I stop you will hit me" ? Brilliant question. You should get a job in white house.

said Someone on February 8, 2007 7:46 PM.

Who the FUCK said that Iraqis hate Americans except the American LEFT IDIOTS!!!!!

said Mike on February 8, 2007 10:30 PM.

ONLY the American left hates America.

said Mike on February 8, 2007 10:33 PM.

only the whole world hates America!! which by the way left or right is the same crap!

said james on February 9, 2007 2:47 PM.

Yeah....well if the US military *HAS* to drive like that, ANY place, then they should NOT be there. I've always felt that driving a HUMVEE over there is PURE ARROGANCE - THE US *IS* hated by the world....and the US is too stupid to recognise it!

Yes, I agree with the person that said, "It looks like Maryland!"
I could not have said it better - Maryland drivers are among the worst I have ever seen - with the exception of downtown in Arabia! WOW!

said ValT on February 10, 2007 4:55 PM.

i am an iraqi christian, because of what i see i realize how stupid the americans can be. Yes you are stupid. You will lose the war. and u have already. u failed to bring peace to the country. u did more harm than good. u had created a war between the muslims in iraq were everyone wnats to take control. we had control at Saddams time. more people have died now than saddams time. u placed sanctions were people became poor, homless, u did not hurt anyone but innocent people people are geeting kidnaped like my father did.
because they are jobless and during your occupation u defeted all the security which was in place of the country and thought it would be easy to bring back to practice again. u failed

my love goes to the iraqi people. May God bring Peace to our people again and may the blood wonds and the death of thousands be remembered by the whole world.

said Michael on February 12, 2007 8:08 PM.

This video not in Baghdad, its in Mosul (400Km-250Mi) north of Baghdad.

That happened with me in Baghdad in 2004, the street was FULL of cars ( hundreds of cars stops because of traffic jam) and they did like that!!!
So sick really, can anyone ask why people hate the Americans in Iraq?

All that is because of Saddam(the American's Governments son).

I ask, can they do like that in USA? I think no one dare. So why they doing that in Iraq?

What they did and its not published yet!

said Iraqi on February 12, 2007 8:21 PM.

All I have to say is I didn't hear a single giggle. If this had been anything but necassary I am sure we would have heard othewise.

said Jamen on February 12, 2007 8:21 PM.

All have to say is IDIOTS!

said Rakis on February 19, 2007 3:49 AM.

Yes, I agree that those soldiers were not on a joy ride, and some of the civilian drivers were driving like assholes. But can all Iraqis understand that ??!! Will there be compensations for damaged cars ? And no, the soldiers were not speeding up to bump those civilian cars, there were slowing down actually to keep it to a nudge only. I agree that this would be a horrible thing to those civilians especially if women and children are in the car. What if there was a pregnant woman in one of the cars ? These are questions that are very hard to answer I know. The bad news, there are horrible cases where Iraqi civilian cars are crushed underneeth a big American army vehicle, with the people inside of course.

said Wa-il Alhafith on February 25, 2007 12:33 PM.

I live in Austin, TX and now I'm thinking of getting a humvee to bump cars off the road! It's really sad how this world is overpopulated. It takes forever to get anywhere so now I'm going to go buy a Humvee and say f*** it and drive like they are, wrong way jumping curbs, its what ever.. Thanks for the great idea!. hahaha

said Gabe on February 27, 2007 1:40 PM.

U should see how Iraqis drive here in America, it's way worse!

said Bob on March 3, 2007 9:28 PM.

i wish they go to hell
the resistance will defet them very soon ensha'a allah

said iraqi man on March 23, 2007 4:08 AM.

I think the driver is sick.

said zahra on March 29, 2007 3:07 PM.

n

said anita on March 30, 2007 1:39 PM.

Americans think they still live in the wild west. They are gun slingers, tobacco chewing, culture less bunch of folk. I don't expect a civilized behavior from them anywhere and especially in a country like Iraq which has been destroyed in their hands. The poor Iraqi people have been through so much in the hands of their cruel leader Sadam, and now they don't deserve to see a bunch of cow boys running around their country pushing and shoving cars and putting human life in danger. This is a story of the the "ugly American" in full picture. You can the boy out of the gutter, but you can't get the gutter out of the boy. Go gettem cow boys eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

said M on April 5, 2007 10:20 AM.

First and foremost.......God bless our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I spent over 6 months in Afghanistan working with small businesses, and had the privilage to take a ride or two with the Army folks.....

For those of us who spent day after day in a war zone, it is the matter of survival, no matter what. Driving in a crowded city street was always off limit for the forces and they avoid it at all cost.....however, there is a heavy presence of allied forces in city streets, but people are courteous and always pull to the right....in the case of Iraq, civilians seem to fight the Army.

Folks, let there be known that WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER.......but our soldiers are doing miracles in both countries, saving lives, despite of negative publicity, hence, driving like a cowboy to save their own lives is a part of a normal living in Baghdad.

Pray for our troops

H

said Hil on April 7, 2007 7:10 PM.

well all the soldiers are from poor/lower middle class families who join because they have no other options in life. not that there's anything wrong with being a soldier, i mean they do what theyre told, theyre good at taking orders, like my pitbull.

Unfortunately for all of us Americans who don't believe that we're God's gift to the world and those of us who aren't as ignorant of other people, the person giving these soldiers their orders is a few cards short of a full deck.

said C on April 9, 2007 7:17 PM.

lol...BE NICE TO AMERICANS OR THEY WILL BRING DEMOCRACY...
FUCK YEAH...
Stupid guys who have no jib in their country or because of any crime they joined the army instead of going to the fucking JAIL...
YEAH FUCK YEA folks GOD BLESS ALL OF THEM what we call the US is the fake grandpa of the world...

said Pedram on May 6, 2007 5:50 AM.

Aren't they inspired by Hollywood? At last some folks get to practice movie excitement somewhere!! I think under the the holy mission of "bringing democracy" to uncivilized people, any young dude who wants to get some "Hollywood Class" excitment just need to get to the army, go to the Middle East (other places don't have as much oil to pay for the holy war expenses) and drive a Humvee on the streets. It's real fun, man!

said sabba on May 6, 2007 11:20 AM.